Nearly 30 years ago, Unity Inc set out to change the way trade-union funded investments were made.
Until then, investments typically funded developments in urban areas and not in rural areas or townships, where black people would benefit.
We set out to help change this by making sure trade-union investments were put towards projects that had a positive influence on much-needed social development and our environment.
In this way we helped to pave the way towards socially responsible investment in South Africa, while making sure that trade union members had secure and comfortable retirement savings to look forward to.
National Union of Mineworkers – NUM
Paper, Printing, Wood and Allied Workers Union – PPWAWU (later CEPPWAWU)
Transport and General Workers’ Union – T & GWU (later SATAWU)
Construction and Allied Workers’ Union – CAWU (amalgamated NUM)
Metal and Electrical Workers’ Union of South Africa – MEWUSA
Transport and Allied Workers’ Union – TAWU
National Union of Food, Wine, Spirits and Allied Workers – NUFWSAW
- Encourage investment for social change
- Help address the imbalances of the past
- Promote the goals of the Reconstruction and Development Programme
- Contribute towards infrastructural development
- Contribute towards job creation and the elimination of unemployment
- Broaden participation in the economy
- Help ordinary workers be part of the investment space
Advance socially responsible investment and the influence of trade unions in the economy through…
1. Shares in unit trust management companies.
2. Establishing, owning and managing financial vehicles – independently or jointly with other organisations – for trade union member retirement funds and personal investments.